[NTG-context] Asian Language Support

KUROKI Yusuke kuroky at users.sourceforge.jp
Tue May 8 17:03:26 CEST 2012

Hi, Hans,

 > A question for Yusuke: what script name should we use?

It is a difficult question.  In Chinese or Korean case,
what they have chosen?  In Japanese, we need to prepare a
lot of characters for font set if they complete Adobe-Japan-1.5
or something. So, some font vendors publish the font sets
including only kana-region and latin/number-region (and
elementary school level kanjis).  In this case, script=kana
might be ok, but if the font set has all the characters
of Adobe-Japan-1.5 region, then script=kana is too impolite.

Moreover, in pTeX world, we use 'kanji' for this kind, but
we need to rethink 'kanji' is most appreciate or not.

Thanks,
-- Yusuke.

(2012/05/08 7:07), Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7-5-2012 15:12, S Barmeier wrote:
>> I am writing documents in English/Japanese.
>>
>> If you want to include English text, you probably need to define your
>> own typescript (or use simplefonts), because most Japanese fonts have
>> terrible Latin fonts...
>>
>> I can probably help you, if you tell me what exactly you need.
>>
>> If you're just typesetting Japanese text, you will need
>> \setscript[hanzi] to enable linebreaks...
>>
>> And the rest is done by Unicode magic: just type away between \starttext
>> and \stoptext
>
> I uploaded a beta with preliminary Japanese script support.
>
> \enabletrackers[scripts.analyzing]
> % \enabletrackers[scripts.injections]
> \enabletrackers[scripts.details]
>
> % \definefont[testfont][heiseikakugostd-w5][script=kana,language=jan]
> \definefont[testfont][heiseiminstd-w3] [script=kana,language=jan]
>
> \testfont
>
> \starttext
>
> \startscript[nihongo]
>
> \startlines
> 国、『国』、『国』、『国』、『国』、『国』、
> \hbox to 3em{国、『国』、『国』、『国』、『国』、『国』、}
> 国:国:国:国:国:国:国:国:国:国
> \hbox to 3em{国:国:国:国:国:国:国:国:国:国}
> \stoplines
>
> \stopscript
>
> \stoptext
>
> A question for Yusuke: what script name should we use?
>
> More (simple) examples are needed in order to get all relations between categories done (so, currently we still use a copy of chinese but with already a few japanese specific inter-character issues done).
>
> Hans

> Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
> Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
> | www.pragma-pod.nl

黒木 裕介 (KUROKI Yusuke)
kuroky(at)users.sourceforge.jp