[NTG-context] Most portable font name

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 18 00:00:03 CEST 2012

On 17-5-2012 16:11, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> So I judged that my preferred choice might not be as good as I
> think. I got cold feet and am about to remove the slide where I
> recommend the PS name (I can do that later anyways). Is there --
> apart from personal opinions -- some valid reason to prefer one
> name over the other *in general*?

For a project that has to run for a long time, I prefer filenames
(file:). When fonts are stable names can be used too and the name
resolved will check several names in the font. Spaces are ignored and
names are lowercases. There's also some fallback name construction going
on. Anyhow, the biggest problem is with fonts that have the same names
(but different files). You can get some info when you run

mtxrun --script font --all --list pal

which shows all fonts with pal in the name(s)