[NTG-context] Testing TeX Live 2012

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 18 19:20:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Marco Pessotto wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:
>
>> I guessed as much. Unfortunately, as I cannot reproduce the bug, this is
>> where it ends for me. Perhaps Hartmut has a 32-bit system somewhere (CC).
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Taco
>>
>> PS Hartmut: full thread is here:
>> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20120516.012657.49ebfe34.en.html
>
> Just for the sake of giving more (probably useless) information:
>
>  1. I updated the sources today and rebuild luatex (0.70.2). Same crash
>  (not that I thought it would be magically fixed by itself, but just to
>  be sure).
>
>  2. I diffed the luatex sources of texlive-2011 with the pretest one,
>  and are just a bunch of chunks. Now, I don't know anything about C, but
>  it doesn't seem a radical change.

Taco didn't commit any update at all, except for version change (and
Khaled did some math-related updates recently).

> So I thought that maybe it's poppler
>  the culprit, and I tried to rebuild with the sistem poppler. But here
>  it fails miserably during compilation.

You can try to checkout revision 26300 from TeX Live repository. That
should give you a good reference.
    http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=26301

> Now, shooting in the dark: the sources of TeXlive ship poppler 0.20.
> I compiled and tested the svn trunk of luatex, and it works (no crash,
> as reported by Luigi), but it's linked against poppler 0.18, as far as I
> can see.

You are not shooting in the dark. This was my earlier guess as well.
It's crashing while dealing with pdf and basically the only relevant
change between TL 2011 & 12 is a different poppler version.

> Well, that was all I could do, please let me know if I can do anything
> else.

If you could also try to build revision 26300 with debugging symbols
(and possibly try to upload the binary somewhere, so that others could
try as well), that might help. I either have or can try to install a
virtual machine with i386-linux, but building TeX Live in virtual
machine will take forever, so having a working binary with all
debugging symbols could help. (I'm not 100% sure if the binary for mac
has been compiled before or after poppler update.)

If you like debugging, you could set a few breakpoints in the
following lines that work with poststruct:

./texk/web2c/luatexdir/lua/lpdflib.c:        pdf_set_pos(static_pdf,
static_pdf->posstruct->pos);
./texk/web2c/luatexdir/lua/lpdflib.c:        (void)
calc_pdfpos(static_pdf->pstruct, static_pdf->posstruct->pos);
./texk/web2c/luatexdir/lua/lpdflib.c:        (void)
calc_pdfpos(static_pdf->pstruct, static_pdf->posstruct->pos);
./texk/web2c/luatexdir/lua/lpdflib.c:                lua_pushnumber(L,
static_pdf->posstruct->pos.h);
./texk/web2c/luatexdir/lua/lpdflib.c:                lua_pushnumber(L,
static_pdf->posstruct->pos.v);
./texk/web2c/synctexdir/synctex-luatex.h:#define SYNCTEX_CURV
(dimen_par(page_height_code)-static_pdf->posstruct->pos.v)
./texk/web2c/synctexdir/synctex-luatex.h:#define SYNCTEX_CURH
static_pdf->posstruct->pos.h

and compare behaviour of old & new luatex. But that's just a blind guess.

Mojca