[NTG-context] ebook from project: hyphenation lost

Marco netuse at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 4 13:14:45 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-04 Andy Thomas <andythomas at web.de> wrote:

> He explicitly states: "Hyphenation is also present. ConTeXt
> inserts soft hyphen (0x00AD) characters where hyphenation is
> possible, which enables the browser to justify the paragraphs."
> Although a quick check of my xml file shows, that there is no
> hyphenation in Safari and there are no 0x00AD characters I can
> find with a Hex-Editor.

Don't inspect the XML rendered by the browser. Open the XML file
directly with an editor. I don't know if the soft hyphens survive
being digested by my mail agent, but the source contains 0x00AD
characters:

	The Earth, as a habi­tat for an­i­mal life, is in old age and has
	a fa­tal ill­ness. Sev­eral, in fact. It would be hap­pen­ing
	whether hu­mans had ever evolved or not.

> Maybe you could try with different viewers/browsers, because if
> there is an 0x00AD in the source, doesn't the viewer have to take
> care of the actual hyphenation?

Exactly, and it works fine here, even with an ancient version of
Firefox (4.0)

Marco