[NTG-context] Laundry symbols (now: altered picture)

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 5 18:06:28 CEST 2012

Am 05.06.2012 um 17:13 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.:

> Thank you, Wolfgang.
> Two more questions, hope there'll be no more about this stuff.
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:01:28 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> \usesymbols[mvs]
>> \starttext
>> \symbol[martinvogel 2][ShortForty]
>> \stoptext
>> or
>> \usesymbols[mvs]
>> \setupsymbolset[martinvogel 2]
>> \starttext
>> \symbol[ShortForty]
>> \stoptext
>> Wolfgang
> - How to scale the desired symbol, e.g. 5 times? I played with "scale" somehow, but no effect.

It scales with the current font size.

\setupsymbolset[martinvogel 2]

\symbol[ShortForty] {\tfd\symbol[ShortForty]}

> - Where the symbol set name "martinvogel 2" comes from? Is it a name "built in" the font file?

The symbols are defined in symb-imp-mvs.mkiv, with \usesymbols[…] you load the file.

> - - Is "2" part of the name or does it mean something, e.g. a factor?

The symbols are just put in named groups and “martinvogel 2” is the name of one of these groups (there is also “martinvogel 1”, don’t know how created these names).

When you define a symbol you can set the name as

or out it in a category with

When you have many symbols which you want to put in a category you can say

   \startsymbolset [<category>]

   \definesymbol[<name 1>]{<symbol 1>}
   \definesymbol[<name 2>]{<symbol 2>}

and omit the first argument. To print a symbol from this symbolset you have to write

but when you add

to your document ConTeXt will search in this symbol set even when you write only