[NTG-context] columns in latest beta

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Thu Jul 19 16:51:47 CEST 2012

I was writing a reply to Dalyoung, but Wolfgang beat me to it. So I'm
going to ask a question myself:

I'm a bit desperate about columns. I want nothing fancy, just a simple
two-columns layout for a few pages. Unfortunately, the two betas I have
on my computer both have trouble. 2012-06-30 complains about \column:
"undefined control sequence." 2012-07-19 throws an error which I've
never seen before:

system          > tex > error on line 901 in file reader.tex: Bad
register code ...

That's the line where I have \stopcolumns. The full error is this:

\page_mul_flush_preceding_ongrid ...ceding_height
                                                   -\dp
\d_page_mul_preceding...
\page_mul_flush_packaged_columns_indeed ...ongrid
                                                   \else
\page_mul_flush_prec...
\page_mul_flush_packaged_columns_continued ...eed
                                                   \box \columnpagebox
\egroup
\page_mul_routine_continue ...d_columns_continued

}\page_otr_construct_and_s...
\page_otr_command_routine ...mul_routine_continue
                                                   \or
\page_mul_routine_bala...
\page_otr_triggered_output_routine ...and_routine
                                                   \fi

What does this "bad register code" mean? I don't even know where to
begin to look for an error - there is one \start - \stopcolumns
environment earlier in my document, which does appear to work normally.
Any pointers?

Thomas