[NTG-context] Small caps?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 04:33:01 CEST 2012

Thanks to all who replied.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Marco <netuse at lavabit.com> wrote:
> My guess is that DejaVu Sans Condensed has no small caps. That's why
> you get the unexpected result. LibO might fake the small caps, which
> should usually be avoided, since it often leads to typographically
> bad results. If you need caps, select a font which provides them.

Hi -- is there absolutely no way for obtaining these "fake small caps"
in ConTeXT? The thread
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-July/010325.html seems to
contain some hints but they are fotr for LaTeX. I don't want to switch
to LaTeX just for this.

Basically I'm trying to move away from wordprocessors, and while I'm
not looking for meaningless effects like "walking ants" (from MS Word)
to be provided by TeX macro packages, faux smallcaps (and oblique and
bold) is not an unreasonable thing to expect IMO. Not everyone is a
typographer to produce the appropriate fine-typography glyphs for
their favourite font to cater to a particular style. Why should the
system impose "super-duper" typography on users when they are willing
to settle for less?

--
Shriramana Sharma