[NTG-context] Small caps?

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Jul 25 05:08:20 CEST 2012

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Marco <netuse at lavabit.com> wrote:
>> My guess is that DejaVu Sans Condensed has no small caps. That's why
>> you get the unexpected result. LibO might fake the small caps, which
>> should usually be avoided, since it often leads to typographically
>> bad results. If you need caps, select a font which provides them.
>
> Hi -- is there absolutely no way for obtaining these "fake small caps"
> in ConTeXT? The thread
> http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-July/010325.html seems to
> contain some hints but they are fotr for LaTeX. I don't want to switch
> to LaTeX just for this.

See
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060818.041218.86ea7e08.en.html

> Basically I'm trying to move away from wordprocessors, and while I'm
> not looking for meaningless effects like "walking ants" (from MS Word)
> to be provided by TeX macro packages, faux smallcaps (and oblique and
> bold) is not an unreasonable thing to expect IMO. Not everyone is a
> typographer to produce the appropriate fine-typography glyphs for
> their favourite font to cater to a particular style. Why should the
> system impose "super-duper" typography on users when they are willing
> to settle for less?

Slightly modified version of the above macro:

\def\fakesmallcaps{\let\processword\dofakesmallcapped\processwords}
\def\dofakesmallcapped#1{\dostartfakesmallcapped#1\dostopfakesmallcapped}
\def\dostartfakesmallcapped#1#2\dostopfakesmallcapped{\cap{#1\cap{#2}}}

\starttext
\fakesmallcaps{Introduction Again}
\stoptext

(Stictly speaking, this is not faking small caps rather it is forcing the
first letter of each work to be captial)

Aditya