[NTG-context] Small caps?

Rogers, Michael K mroge02 at emory.edu
Wed Jul 25 06:59:55 CEST 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 10:33 PM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> Hi -- is there absolutely no way for obtaining these "fake small caps"
> in ConTeXT?

Here's a hack, which sort of works, definitely doesn't handle <return> -- there must be a better way.  I hope you don't mind my using your text as text. :-)

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[DejaVuSansCondensed]
\def\smallcaps{\begingroup\obeyspaces\let\myspace=\space\dosmallcaps}
\def\dosmallcaps#1{\dosc#1\end\endgroup}
\def\dosc#1{%
  \ifx#1\end \let\next=\relax
  \else\if#1\space \myspace\let\myspace=\relax% skip repeated spaces
    \else\ifnum\lccode`#1=`#1{\tfx \uppercase{#1}}% change \tfx to your desired size
      \else #1\fi
      \let\myspace=\space
    \fi
    \let\next=\dosc
  \fi\next}
\starttext
Not everyone is a
typographer to produce the appropriate fine-typography glyphs for
their favourite font to cater to a particular style. Why should the
system impose
\smallcaps{"super-duper" Typography}
on users when they are willing
to settle for less?
\smallcaps{Watch out  for
returns.}
\stoptext

Alternatively, you could settle for a font that has small caps.

prohibited.