[NTG-pdftex] pdftex.cfg (was: pdf(e)tex status)

Martin Schröder ms@artcom-gmbh.de
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:31:42 +0100

On 2004-01-29 01:15:49 +0100, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> can you tell me about the status of expected changes to pdf(e)tex?

Stasz,
I want to fix the cfg problem in the next release (1.12a, planned
for early February).

> Just to recall, here is the current problem:
> how to avoid reading pdftex.cfg while running pdf(e)tex --ini

As I recall the main problem was not that a cfg was found and read
but that it wasn't found and pdftex failed. I just want to make a
missing cfg a non-fatal error.

> I would vote for dumping the *default* output to the format, say
> latex will use \pdfoutput=0, pdflatex will use \pdfoutput=1

Good idea.

> So latex etc. could be linked just to pdfetex, without any other
> command line switch (anyway not yet available). For such command&format
> I'd suggest not reading pdftex.cfg at all (it sets things rather
> concerned to pdf output).
>
> pdftex.cfg should be left as it is for commands&formats
> which use pdf output by default. Just to avoid a mess with new
> command line parameters for pdf(e)tex, more config files,
> and... for transparent use as (e)tex replacement as the main
> engine (actually not true).

True.

> Ps. I'm overflooded by spam mails, often sent from your, Sebastian
> and other people addresses...

Yes. Spammers like to fake their addresses and use publically
known addresses. Unfortunately ours are all over the web. :-(

Use SpamAssassin with procmail. :-(

Best regards
    Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, ms@artcom-gmbh.de
     ArtCom GmbH, Lise-Meitner-Str 5, 28359 Bremen, Germany