[NTG-pdftex] gs problem

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Oct 25 02:21:30 CEST 2004

    > (I cc to volker, maybe he can mention this to Hermann Zapf who
    > is redoing the fonts). Interestingly Hermann is not mentioned in
    > the copyright notice of his own fonts.)

    > Hi,

    > The optima nova fonts have pretty long copyright notices and
    > these give problems in ghostscript

Hi, did you try the font with other programs?  It seems to be most
probably a bug in ghostscript.

A copyright notice in a Type 1 font is just a string.  I didn't find
anything about limitations in the Type 1 Reference Manual or TN 5015.

The PostScript Language Reference Manual (Appendix B) describes PS
interpreter requirements.  According to this, any PS interpreter
should be able to handle strings of least 65535 bytes.

There are some restrictions for ATM compatibility but obviously they
do not affect string lengths.

So I think that ghostscript is the culprit and the bug should be fixed
there.  Can you send me a small file which shows this problem?  At the
moment I have 30 different versions of gs installed on my system and
it shouldn't bee too difficult to find out which versions are affected
(or when this bug had been introduced).

    > [...]
    > maybe pdftex can split too long lines into multiple /Copyright
    > () lines

I think that pdftex should remove anything from a font which is not
needed, but as far as the copyright notice is concerned, it's
certainly best to leave it as it is.

Technically, it is wrong to split it into multiple lines.  For example:

/Copyright (copyright by me.) def
/Copyright (you are not allowed to) def
/Copyright (give this font away!) def

The content of /Copyright is now the string "give this font away!".

Even worse, /Copyright is defined as "readonly def".  A PS interpreter
should complain if someone tries to overwrite the initial definition.

I agree with you that the copyright notice is much too long.  Nobody
spends much time to read so boring stuff, anyway.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25