[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-199 ] font expansion: characters may vanish

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Wed Sep 22 23:13:56 CEST 2004

Bugs item #199, was opened at 2004-09-23 02:43
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=199&group_id=106

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:

For extremely large shrink values, characters may not
be visible in the pdf output (although the fonts seem
to be embedded), e.g. in the following file:

%----------------------------------------------
\hsize220pt
\pdfadjustspacing=2
\font\testfont=cmr17 at 90pt\testfont
\pdffontexpand\font 0 1000 100 autoexpand
\efcode\font`\s=500
\efcode\font`\e=500
\efcode\font`\y=500

see what you get\penalty-10000

\bye
%----------------------------------------------

or even worse:

%----------------------------------------------
\hsize180pt
\pdfadjustspacing=2
\font\testfont=cmr17 at 90pt\testfont
\pdffontexpand\font 0 1000 100 autoexpand

see what you get\penalty-10000

\bye
%----------------------------------------------

The font `cmr17-Extend_100' will not be visible.

I only managed to achieve this effect with extremely
large font sizes, which may or may not be related (it
could also be that I didn't find the `magic' \hsize).

If you force the characters to shrink even more, for
example by setting \hsize to 120pt in the latter test
file, the unexpanded font will be used, thus printing
the characters over each other.

Regards,
Robert  <w.m.l at gmx.net>

PS. I didn't bother to create expanded fonts, so I
cannot tell whether it depends on the autoexpand feature.