[NTG-pdftex] [ pdftex-Bugs-300 ] "page is rotated 90 degrees" for no reason

noreply at sarovar.org noreply at sarovar.org
Thu Feb 24 14:58:28 CET 2005

Bugs item #300, was opened at 2005-02-24 00:15
You can respond by visiting:
http://sarovar.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=493&aid=300&group_id=106

Category: PDF inclusion
Group: v1.21a

Initial Comment:
Hi --

I have a good-sized document that uses
\includegraphics{} to include about 250 images, each of
which was prepared in the same way, converting a .eps
file to a .pdf file using epstopdf.  Of these, 65 of
them end up rotated 90 degrees for no reason.  The .log
file mentions the fact, saying
	page is rotated 90 degrees
and a glance at the output document confirms this.

What is happening?  Why is it happening?  Why is it not
documented?  How do I make it stop happening?

I have looked at the source to pdflatex without finding
anything that fiddles with the "rotate" angle.  I have
done experiments including changing the \textwidth
without finding anything that has any effect.  I have
no clue why some images are rotated and some are not;
it is not a function of image-width or anything simple
like that.

Putting an explicit [angle=0] directive on the
\includegraphics has no effect.

I have scrutinized the image files using "identify
-verbose" and "pdfinfo" without finding anything that
would explain the observed behavior.

I have searched the archives of the mailing-list as
best I could using the modest search facilities
available.  I have skimmed the open and closed bugs on
the bug-reporting system.

I downloaded the latest tetex-texmf distro from ctan to
make sure the problem exists in that version.  The
problem is 100% reproducible.  Version info from the
head of the .log file is:

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C
7.5.4) (format=pdflatex 2005.2.23)  23 FEB 2005 23:32
entering extended mode
**how.tex
(./how.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> ....

If you need the next level of detail, I will have to
cobble up a document that demonstrates the problem.
(I don't think you want to look at the multi-megabyte
example I already have, and it's proprietary anyway.)
But for the moment I'm hoping somebody will instantly
recognize the problem and know the solution, saving
me the trouble of cobbling up a demo document.

Please let me know what info you need.