[NTG-pdftex] epdfview

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Fri Apr 21 11:43:17 CEST 2006

Rolf Niepraschk <Rolf.Niepraschk at ptb.de> wrote:

> Simple PDF viewer using poppler without Gnome dependency.
>
> ==> http://www.emma-soft.com/projects/epdfview/

Why should that be interesting for pdftex?  It's already possible to
compile it with poppler, you don't even need the glib bindings that
epdfview uses, just some minor patches (preprocessor directives) that I
posted a while ago.

Currently, poppler is a nearly drop-in-replacement for xpdf.  In the
long run, I think it would be better if it would be changed

- to not expose as much internals as xpdf does, but instead

- provide a well-defined API, and

- in the version without any bindings, do this specifically with
  non-displaying purposes in mind (document parsing, extracting,
  changing, etc.).

But it seems, since the poppler project was created to merge code
accumulated in viewers and maybe printing backends, this is low priority
for the people currently involved.

I say that I think this should be changed, although it has a drawback:
It would mean that we can't have the same code and still switch between
poppler and xpdf.  But on the other hand, *if* parsing and extraction is
cared for by the poppler people, we might be better of with that than
currently with xpdf.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster