[NTG-pdftex] [\immediate]\pdfximage

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Oct 12 12:55:51 CEST 2007

Hi,

in an application of ours, we have the situation that quite a number
of graphics files are checked for their size and stuff, and then a
decision is made whether to use them in the resulting PDF.

If we do the checks using \pdfximage, the resulting file handle (and
internal data structures) are kept open until the end of the TeX run,
waiting to see whether actually a \pdfrefximage will ever occur.
Bad.  We actually run out of file handles on some platforms because of
that.

If we do the checks using \immediate\pdfximage, then the graphics file
will be written out to the PDF even though it will never get displayed
or used.  Since probably only one of five files actually _is_ supposed
to be printed, this will blow up the PDF completely unnecessarily.

Any idea how to deal with this?  How about something like
[\immediate]\pdfcloseximage which makes PDFTeX forget all about a
previously included file, freeing the resources?

Or is there something I don't understand?

--
David Kastrup