[NTG-pdftex] Question related to .ttc support

Thanh Han The hanthethanh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 13:34:31 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 07:07:37PM +0800, hzluo wrote:
> Friends,
>    I recently tested pdflatex with a Chinese font simsun.ttc,
> pdflatex report the following error:
>
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file simsun.ttc): cannot open Type 1 font file for
> reading
>
> I checked the source code of pdflatex, found that pdflatex
> only takes .ttf files as the truetype fonts, there is no test
> for .ttc suffix. So, simsun.ttc is assumed to be a Type 1 font.
> Apparently it is wrong.

the manual says that if a fontfile has unknown extension, it
will be treated as type1. Not quite right, but that's the
expected bahaviour of pdftex in this case.

> Is there any special reason to give up the .ttc support
> in pdflatex? I found that dvipdfmx supports simsun.ttc smoothly,
> so pdflatex should also do that, and it is quite simple.
> I have attached a tiny patch to fix this. Could anyone confirm it?

TTC is not truetype, but truetype collection. It's not
supported by pdftex yet, since I don't know enough about
this format yet and there seems to be very little interest
in this format.

Your patch changes pdftex so that it will treat TTC like
truetype font. While it works for your case, I am not
confident that it's the right way to do that. Someone with a
thorough understanding of TTC format can comment on this?

Regards,
Thanh