[NTG-pdftex] Synchronization

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 11 11:43:56 CET 2008

Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2008/2/11, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>:
>> LAURENS Jérôme wrote:
>>> I agree that a name like \pdfsynchronize is more user friendly, but
>>> the advantage of synctex is that it can also be used in the CLI...
>>> as I said the string "synctex" is also some kind of keyword.
>> the policy for pdftex is not to introduce new primitives unless preceded
>> by \pdf ... (not that i care that much because macro packages can deal
>> with it but for latex it was considered a problem as there are many
>> packages out there we don't know of), so such is life ...
>
> This isn't really an issue anymore with \pdfprimitive. :-)

huh? that's not so much different from a bunch of \let \mysavedwhatever
\whatever and that was rejected (\primitive is not something that end
users will use and i never could convince the team to not use the \pdf
primitive

als, if so, we should start rename the existing \pdfwhatevers

>> anyhow, even if we use a non prefixed primitive, i'd like a more verbose one
>>
>> \synchronizeoutputstate
>>
>> or, actually, it belongs to the trace family
>>
>> \traceoutputpositions
>>
>> or so; since we're talking tex here, the tex in \synctex is somewhat
>> strange; of course you can call your mechanism as such, but that;s a
>> different matter
>
> Agreed. And we shouldn't forget to include Johnathan in the
> discussion, since this should also end up in XeTeX. :-)

(btw, is there an indication of the speed penalty and influence on the
memory footprint when this feature is not enabled?)