[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex-Bugs][856] build.sh can't handle pathnames with spaces

pdftex-bugs at sarovar.org pdftex-bugs at sarovar.org
Sat Jun 28 16:09:30 CEST 2008

Bugs item #856, was opened at 2007-08-14 07:48
>Resolution: Rejected
Group: v1.40.4
Category: Build process

Initial Comment:
Dear,

I want to compile pdftex for cygwin.
I untarred the distribution in
/cygdrive/c/Document and Settings/Francky Leyn/My
Documents/LaTeX

leyn at newyork ~/LaTeX/pdftex-1.40.5
$ ./build.sh

build.sh stops with the following error:

configure: error: can not run /cygdrive/c/Documents
and Settings/Francky Leyn/My Documents/LaTeX/pdftex-
1.40.5/build/../src/config/config.sub

The file exists and is executable:

$ ls -lh "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Francky
Leyn/My Documents/LaTeX/pdftex-
1.40.5/build/../src/config/config.sub"
-rwx------+ 1 leyn None 32K Jul 31
19:00 /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Francky
Leyn/My Documents/LaTeX/pdftex-
1.40.5/build/../src/config/config.sub

The file /cygdrive/c/Documents doesn't exist
of course and that is why buid.sh stops its execution.

Could the scripts be modified so that they can handle
spaces?

Best regards,

Francky Leyn

Comment By: Martin Schröder (oneiros)