[NTG-pdftex] image inclusion on samba shares :-(

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Tue Nov 4 13:12:15 CET 2008

Hi,
we're having problems with image inclusion on samba shares: the
case-(in)sensitivity of pdftex/LaTeX differs in places.

The setup is a Linux vm mounting a samba share from a Linux server.

We do an \includegraphics with a filename that differs in case from
the file on the server (say "Foo.jpg" instead of "foo.jpg"). Since the
samba mount is per default case-insensitive, we can see (e.g. with
"ls") the file on the client. But pdftex exits with "pdflatex:
Foo.jpg: No such file or directory", which is not written to the
logfile, and we end up with an empty or corrupt pdf.

The image inclusion in pdftex.def first checks if the file exists;
apparently this works, although the later image inclusion fails. And
the image inclusion fails so horribly that pdftex has no chance to
clean up after itself (it simly exits in xfopen).

Can we fix this in pdftex.def or must pdftex (and luatex) be changed?

Best
   Martin