[NTG-pdftex] image inclusion on samba shares :-(

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Nov 4 13:43:34 CET 2008

Martin Schröder wrote:
> Hi,
> we're having problems with image inclusion on samba shares: the
> case-(in)sensitivity of pdftex/LaTeX differs in places.
>
> The setup is a Linux vm mounting a samba share from a Linux server.
>
> We do an \includegraphics with a filename that differs in case from
> the file on the server (say "Foo.jpg" instead of "foo.jpg"). Since the
> samba mount is per default case-insensitive, we can see (e.g. with
> "ls") the file on the client. But pdftex exits with "pdflatex:
> Foo.jpg: No such file or directory", which is not written to the
> logfile, and we end up with an empty or corrupt pdf.
>
> The image inclusion in pdftex.def first checks if the file exists;
> apparently this works, although the later image inclusion fails. And
> the image inclusion fails so horribly that pdftex has no chance to
> clean up after itself (it simly exits in xfopen).
>
> Can we fix this in pdftex.def or must pdftex (and luatex) be changed?

i tested pdftex with

- windows native disk
- windows samba disk
- linux

and

\starttext

\externalfigure[CowCow.pdf]
\externalfigure[Cowcow.pdf]
\externalfigure[cowcow.pdf]

\stoptext

with files being there or not and i cannot get pdftex to crash so i
guess that there might be some problem in pdftex.def then

Btw, in luatex, the image library is different from the pdftex one.