[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex-Feature Requests][2383] Support svg graphics

pdftex-featurerequests at sarovar.org pdftex-featurerequests at sarovar.org
Fri Jan 16 00:00:22 CET 2009

Category: None
Group: None
Resolution: None

Initial Comment:
At the moment I export pngs from inkscape and embed them using includegraphics.

It would be great if pdflatex could handle svg-files,
This would improve the quality of the generated files and help save time.

Comment By: Reinhard Kotucha (reinhardk)
Date: 2009-01-16 00:00

Message:
Unfortunately, in contrast to PNG and JPEG, SVG cannot be included in PDF files directly as far as I know.  Hence an external converter is needed.  But why do you export your graphics as PNG instead of EPS?  You can convert them to PDF easily using epstopdf.

There is one drawback:  PostScript doesn't support transparency.  I never used inkscape myself, I just looked at the project web page (the German one) and I'm quite baffled that the list of supported output formats contains PostScript and EPS but not PDF.  PostScript and PDF are based on the same imaging model, hence, for someone who is able to craete PostScript, it shouldn't be too difficult to create PDF as well.

On the other hand, I just installed inkscape and I see that it is linked against libcairo, which means that PDF output is supported (by cairo) unless it is disabled deliberately by the build process.

It would be very strange if inkscape is using Cairo but
can't create PDF.

See http://cairographics.org/ for more details about Cairo.  It's a wonderful thing.

Regards,
  Reinhard