[NTG-pdftex] [pdftex-Bugs][4311] pdftex emits useless warning for many PDF 1.4 includes

pdftex-bugs at sarovar.org pdftex-bugs at sarovar.org
Fri Apr 30 09:55:39 CEST 2010

Bugs item #4311, was opened at 2010-04-29 12:01
Category: PDF inclusion
Group: None
>Resolution: Out of Date

Initial Comment:
Whenever I include a PDF file (using \includegraphic) that has been created by Inkscape, I get a warning message like the following:

<../figures/open-ee-2-1.pdf pdfTeX warning: /usr/bin/pdflatex (file ../figures/open-ee-2-1.pdf): PDF inclusion: Page Group detected which pdfTeX can't handle. Ignoring it. >

Now, it's very friendly of pdftex to make me aware of its aparent shortcomings. Since these page groups are not really necessary for a small, single page graphic, pdftex could go ahead and *really* ignore them, rather than tell me about something I don't care about.

The problem is that hundreds of these warnings make it very hard to find real problems in the Latex file.

Some people have reported similar problems with PDFs created using OpenOffice.

There seem to be many people that are annoyed by this problem:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22PDF+inclusion:+Page+Group+detected+which+pdfTeX+can't+handle.+Ignoring+it.%22

Date: 2010-04-30 09:55

Message:
This has already been fixed in pdfTeX 1.40.6 in 2008.