[Tex-nl] Bibtex plainurl.bst zonder komma voor and bij meerdere auteurs

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 19 17:09:29 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-19 16:51, Wybo Dekker wrote:

> On 2011-10-19 14:33, Pander wrote:
>> Hoi allemaal,
>>
>> Ik gebruik /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/
>> bibtex/bst/urlbst/plainurl.bst van TeX Live 2011 en bij meerdere auteurs
>> wordt er een komma voor and gezet, bijvoorbeeld:
>>   A, B, C, and D
>> Maar ik wil graag:
>>   A, B, C and D
>
> Misschien moet je eerst hier even kijken:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-58104,00.html
>
> Using the serial comma — a comma before "and" or "or" in a
> series of three or more items (a, b, and c) — is a matter
> of style. In the USA, it's usually called the Oxford comma
> and is mandated by the Chicago Manual of Style and several
> other style manuals or guides used in academic and book
> publishing. The Associated Press (AP) Manual of Style and
> Usage, which is the style followed by most newspapers, many
> newsletters and many websites, is a less-formal style that
> doesn't use the serial comma (a, b and c) UNLESS one of the
> elements in the list is a compound (a, b and c, and d),
> although a lot of newspaper copy editors and proofreaders
> don't seem to remember that these days. A lot of AP style
> elements came into being to save space; not using serial
> commas does just that - save space. People who don't use the
> serial comma wouldn't have any problem understanding
> "Dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God" or "...
> ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall." If I had
> seen either phrase before it was published, though, I'd have
> suggested a rewrite.
>
> Ruth E. Thaler-Carter, Rochester, NY USA

Guide to Punctuation van Larry Trask, University of Sussex, te vinden op
http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/department/docs/punctuation/node10.html#SECTION00041000000000000000
zegt over de listing comma:

Note also that it is not usual in British usage to put a listing comma
before the word and or or itself (though American usage regularly puts
one there). So, in British usage, it is not usual to write

    The Three Musketeers were Athos, Porthos, and Aramis.

This is reasonable, since the listing comma is a substitute for the word
and, not an addition to it. However, you should put a comma in this
position if doing so would make your meaning clearer:

    My favourite opera composers are Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, and Gilbert
and Sullivan.

Here the comma before and shows clearly that Gilbert and Sullivan worked
together. If you omit the comma, the result might be confusing:

    *My favourite opera composers are Verdi, Puccini, Mozart and Gilbert
and Sullivan.

Here, the reader might possibly take Mozart and Gilbert as the pair who
worked together. The extra comma removes the problem.

Je zou ook de samentrekking eerder in de listing kunnen zetten om het
probleem te omzeilen, bv:

    My favourite opera composers are Gilbert and Sullivan, Verdi,
Puccini and Mozart.

Dus voor een bibliografie zou het wel oke zijn om de extra komma te
gebruiken. Waar het niet dat ik hem liever zie verdwijnen voor mijn
toepassing.

Groetjes,

Pander