[TLContrib] How do I properly modify an existing map file?

Leo Liu leoliu.pku at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:29:48 CEST 2012

Hi Norbert,

Thank you for your patient reply.

Yes, if the updmap utility can be modified for more map kinds of files, the
problem would be solved perfectly.

For zhmCJK, the request is very simple: *just append a line*

    include zhmCJK.map

to the file `texfonts.map', if it is absent. That's all stuff my previous
script does. All annoying TFM mappings are in the file zhmCJK.map and you
don't need to do anything with it.

We need some time to work on merging zhmetrics and zhmCJK, I'm not sure when
it can be fine.  I know that TL2012 is in preparation, we'll try to catch up
with TL2012's development.

------

The detailed technique of zhmCJK is irrelevant to the problem here. What I
have explained is the main background thought of zhmetrics, and it is also one
of the keys of zhmCJK.  Another idea of zhmCJK is that the actual font
mappings are dynamic.  A TeX CJK font family can be dynamically bind to any
actual TrueType Chinese font, so I can provide the similar function of XeTeX
and LuaTeX to access any TrueType font available in the OS (setting proper
OSFONTDIR), but on pdfTeX/dvipdfmx.  Users need not to install the CJK fonts
for TeX, just use it.  I even provide almost the same user interface of xeCJK,
thus the documents can be easily portable between different TeX engines.
That's what zhmCJK's main work.

I'm not sure about Japanese and Korean.  Nowadays, I am an active developer of
xeCJK (for XeTeX CJK support).  And I have moved to XeLaTeX about 3 years ago.
zhmCJK is just an interesting complement of (for me) old CJK support on
non-Unicode engines.  XeTeX and LuaTeX are more suitable for new users and
should attract more developers.

Best,
Leo